Three things to know this tax season
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, the federal and state tax filing deadlines have been extended to July 15. We want to make sure you have the information you need for an easy tax filing season this year.
Here are three things to know before you get started:
- If you received a benefit from CalSTRS in 2019, CalSTRS will provide you with a Form 1099-R.
The Form 1099-R is used to report distributions from retirement plans and pensions, such as the CalSTRS Defined Benefit Program. Your Form 1099-R includes payments issued to you from CalSTRS from January 1, 2019, through December 31, 2019.
Here is some helpful information on how to read your 1099-R.
- You may receive more than one Form 1099-R from CalSTRS.
CalSTRS issues a separate form for each type of benefit disbursed, so depending on your circumstances, you may receive more than one Form 1099-R from CalSTRS in a single tax year.
- If you need a duplicate copy of your Form 1099-R, you may access a duplicate on myCalSTRS or submit a request in writing.
It’s easy to view and print your Form 1099-R for 2019 and prior tax years on myCalSTRS. Your 2019 Form 1099-R was available online starting on January 17, 2020.
You can also request a duplicate Form 1099-R in writing. Please allow 10 to 15 business days for receipt of your duplicate Form 1099-R.
All written requests must include the following information:
- Client ID or last four digits of your Social Security number
- Tax year requested
- Mailing address
- Signature and signature date
Mail written requests to:
P.O. Box 15275
Sacramento, CA 92851
While you’re thinking about taxes, it’s a good opportunity to review your tax election preferences for 2020. See CalSTRS’ Tax Information section on our website for more information.