ED2019-01 Postretirement Earnings Limit and Disability Allowance Earnings Limit
Supersedes Employer Directive 2018-01
This employer directive is intended to inform and remind employers of:
- The application of the earnings limit for retired CalSTRS members.
- The annual postretirement earnings limit for the 2018-19 fiscal year.
- The annual postretirement earnings limit for the 2019-20 fiscal year.
- The postretirement separation-from-service requirement for retired CalSTRS members and retired CalSTRS participants during the first 180 calendar days from their retirement date with CalSTRS.
- Requirements for requesting an exemption from the separation-from-service requirement.
- Restriction on hiring retired CalSTRS members and retired CalSTRS participants in classified positions.
- Retirement incentive restrictions.
- Requirements for employer communication regarding the earnings limits and, if applicable, the retirement incentive restrictions when hiring retired CalSTRS members. Also, the employer requirements regarding maintaining accurate records and reporting postretirement earnings to CalSTRS.
- The CalSTRS postretirement excess earnings notification process.
- The disability retirement earnings limit for the 2019 calendar year.
- The disability allowance earnings limit for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 fiscal years.
Employer Directives [ED] convey legal requirements and prohibitions and document CalSTRS policy for school district and community college employers.
For an accessible version of this directive, contact ADACoordinator@CalSTRS.com.