ED2021-06 Postretirement Earnings Limit and Disability Allowance Earnings Limit for the 2020–21 and 2021–22 Fiscal Years, and Disability Retirement Earnings Limit for the 2021 Calendar Year
Supersedes Employer Directive 2021-03 & Employer Information Circular 16-3
This employer directive is intended to inform and remind employers of:
- The application of the earnings limit for retired DB members.
- The annual postretirement earnings limit for the 2020–21 fiscal year.
- The annual postretirement earnings limit for the 2021–22 fiscal year.
- The postretirement separation-from-service requirement for retired DB members and retired CB participants during the first 180 calendar days from their retirement date with CalSTRS.
- State of Emergency and postretirement earnings limitations.
- Requirements for requesting an exemption from the separation-from-service requirement.
- Restriction on hiring retired DB members and retired CB participants in classified positions.
- Retirement incentive restrictions.
- Requirements for employer communication regarding the earnings limits and, if applicable, the retirement incentive restrictions when hiring retired DB members. Also, the employer requirements regarding maintaining accurate records and reporting postretirement earnings to CalSTRS.
- The CalSTRS postretirement excess earnings notification process.
- The disability retirement earnings limit for the 2021 calendar year.
- The disability allowance earnings limit for the 2020–21 and 2021–22 fiscal years.
Employer Directives [ED] convey legal requirements and prohibitions and document CalSTRS policy for school district and community college employers.
For an accessible version of this directive, contact ADACoordinator@CalSTRS.com.