GASB 74/75: Postemployment Benefits Reporting
The Governmental Accounting Standards Board has issued two new accounting standards that significantly change the way Other Postemployment Benefits are reported:
- Statement No. 74, Financial Reporting for Postemployment Benefit Plans Other Than Pension Plans, was implemented by CalSTRS in its fiscal year 2016-17 financial statements.
- Statement No. 75, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Postemployment Benefits Other Than Pensions, is effective for plan employers in fiscal year 2017-18.
GASB 74 and 75 reflect a fundamental overhaul in the standards for accounting and financial reporting for postemployment benefits other than pension. These standards break the link between funding and financial reporting by moving from an approach that focuses on the process by which employers finance their future projected cash outflows for OPEB, to one that stresses the obligation an employer incurs through the employment-exchange process.
In an effort to assist employers with their implementation of these standards, we have certain resources necessary to meet the new reporting requirements. For more information see the GASB Statement Nos. 74 and 75 FAQs or contact Bankole Fatunla at BFatunla@CalSTRS.com.
- GASB Statement No. 75 – Accounting and Financial Reporting For Postemployment Benefits Other Than Pensions
FAQs and Financial Statements
- GASB 74/75 FAQs
- GASB 74/75 Financial Reporting Valuation
- FY 2016-17 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- FY 2016-17 Other Pension and Postemployment Benefits Information
Presentations and Board Resolutions
- Impacts of GASB 74/75 on CalSTRS and Employers
- April 3, 2014, Teachers’ Retirement Board Resolution 14-16: Adoption of Assumptions for GASB Statement No. 74 Financial Reporting