Apply for the Medicare Premium Payment Program
For more information, review the Medicare Payment Authorization Instructions and form.
After you enroll in Medicare, you will receive a Notice of Medicare Premium Payment Due (Medicare bill, CMS 500) from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
After you receive the Medicare bill and decide to enroll in CalSTRS MPPP:
- Make a copy of the bill.
- Do not send payment to CMS.
- Fill out the CalSTRS Medicare Payment Authorization form.
- Complete MPPP section.
- Send the completed Medicare Payment Authorization form and a copy of the unpaid bill to CalSTRS via mail, or fax to 916-414-5262.
CalSTRS determines eligibility for the MPPP.
- We will send you a confirmation letter when you’re successfully enrolled in the CalSTRS MPPP.
- If determined ineligible, you’re responsible for paying Medicare Part A premiums directly to CMS.
Due to processing times between CMS and CalSTRS, you may receive a second Medicare bill with past due premiums. Do not pay the Medicare bill. If you receive a Termination or Delinquent notice, contact CalSTRS immediately.
You will continue to receive communications directly from CMS and the Social Security Administration.