General Information


Participation in the Medicare Premium Payment Program is optional. First you must enroll in Medicare, then submit your request to CalSTRS.

Enroll in Medicare

To enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local Social Security office.

If Social Security says you are not qualified, not eligible or do not have enough credits to receive Medicare Part A premium-free, you may purchase Medicare Parts A and B.

Initial Enrollment Period

You may sign up for Medicare Part A and B during your initial enrollment period, which:

  • Begins three months before the month you turn 65.
  • Ends three months after the month you turn 65.

General Enrollment Period

If you do not enroll in Medicare Part A and B during the Initial Enrollment Period, you can sign up during the Medicare General Enrollment Period.

  • January 1 through March 31 of each year.
  • Your Medicare coverage will start July 1 of the year you sign up.
  • You may be charged penalties for late enrollment into Medicare. CalSTRS cannot pay these penalties for you.

Special Enrollment Period

This period is available if you are eligible for Medicare and waited to enroll in Medicare because you or your spouse was actively working and had group health plan coverage through an employer. You can sign up for Medicare either:

  • Any time you are still covered by an employer group health plan, through you or your spouse’s current employment, or
  • During the eight months following the month that the group health plan ends, or when the employment ends (whichever is first).

After You Enroll In Medicare

You will receive a Notice of Medicare Premium Payment Due (Medicare bill) from CMS. After you receive the Medicare bill:

  • Make a copy of the bill; do not send payment to CMS.
  • Fill out the CalSTRS Medicare Payment Authorization form.
  • Send the completed Medicare Payment Authorization form and a copy of the unpaid bill to CalSTRS via mail or fax to 916-414-5262.

Review the Medicare Premium Payment Program packet for more detailed information and a Medicare Payment Authorization form.

It is not unusual to get a second Medicare bill with past due premiums. Do not pay the Medicare bill. If you receive a Termination or Delinquent notice, contact CalSTRS immediately.

You will receive a confirmation letter when you are successfully enrolled in CalSTRS MPPP.

If CalSTRS determines that you are not eligible for the MPPP, you will be responsible for paying Medicare Part A premiums directly to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).