- For six out of seven teachers, or roughly 86 percent of CalSTRS members, the defined benefit pension provides a greater, more secure retirement income than compared to a 401(k)-style plan.
- A typical classroom teacher today can expect to retire from their career at approximately age 61, and nearly half of teachers (49%) will retire with 30 or more years of dedicated service.
- Three-quarters of classroom teaching is performed by teachers who will have been covered by CalSTRS for at least 20 years by the time they depart.
- News Release: UC Study Shows Most California Teachers Better Off in Defined Benefit Pension than 401(k)
- Video: Are California Teachers Better off with a Pension or a 401(k)?