To enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B, call Social Security at 800-772-1213 or visit your local Social Security office.
If you learn from Social Security that you are not qualified, not eligible or do not have enough credits to receive Medicare Part A premium-free, you may purchase Medicare Parts A and B.
Initial Enrollment Period
You may sign up for Medicare Part A and B during the initial 7-month enrollment period, which:
- Begins three months before the month you turn 65.
- Includes the month you turn 65.
- Ends three months after the month you turn 65.
General Enrollment Period
If you do not enroll in Medicare Part A and B during the Initial Enrollment Period, you can sign up during the Medicare General Enrollment Period, which is January 1 through March 31 of each year. Your Medicare coverage will start July 1 of the year you sign up. You may be charged penalties for late enrollment into Medicare.
Special Enrollment Period
This special enrollment period is available if you’re eligible for Medicare and waited to enroll in Medicare because you or your spouse were actively working and had group health plan coverage through an employer. You can sign up for Medicare:
- Any time you’re still covered by an employer group health plan, through you or your spouse’s current employment, or
- During the eight months following the month that the group health plan ends, or when the employment ends, whichever is first.