State Teachers Retirement System – Job Aid
Full-Time Equivalent for Community Colleges
The minimum Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) for Community College Instructors is 30 Teaching Units per year for a duration of at least 35 weeks. This would equate to 15 Teaching Units per semester. Many districts express or define “Teaching Units” as lecture hour equivalents, academic units, load hours, load units, semester hours, or some other similar term which represents the instructional workload component of a full-time instructor’s assignment.It is the employer’s responsibility to determine the instructional workload that would equate to 30 Teaching Units per semester for each class of instructors.
The following are two examples for converting instructional workload to Teaching Units, as defined pursuant to Education Code Section 22175:
Full-Time Assignment Varies by Subject/Discipline
|Subject/Discipline||Statutory FTE Per Year||District Full-Time Instructional Workload Per Semester||District Full-Time Instructional Workload Per Semester Per Year||District Full-Time Instructional Workload Per Semester Conversion Factor|
|ESL (English as a Second Language)||30 Teaching Units||12 Teaching Hours||24 Teaching Hours||1.250
|AG (Agricultural Business)||30 Teaching Units||18 Teaching Hours||36 Teaching Hours||0.833
- Part-Time Instructor’s Annual Assignment is 8 Teaching Hours of ESL:
- 8 Teaching Hours x 1.250 Conversion Factor = 10 Teaching Units/year.
- 10 Teaching Units / 30 Teaching Units = 0.333 Service Credit.
- Part-Time Instructor’s Annual Assignment is 24 Teaching Hours of AG Business:
- 24 Teaching Hours x .833 Conversion Factor = 19.992 Teaching Units per year.
- 19.992 Teaching Units / 30 Teaching Units = 0.666 Service Credit.
Full-Time Assignment Varies by Lecture/Laboratory Course
- District Full-Time Instructional Workload = 30 Load Units.
- 1 Load Unit = 1 Teaching Unit.
- 1 Lecture Hour = 1.0 Load Unit.
- 1 Laboratory Hour = 0.7 Load Unit.
A chemistry course consists of 3 Lecture Hours and 2 Laboratory Hours.
Part-Time Instructor’s Annual Assignment is 4 chemistry classes (12 Lecture Hours + 8 Lab Hours):
- 12 x 1.0 Load Units = 12.0
- 8 x 0.7 Load Units = 5.6
- =17.6 Load Units or Teaching Units.
- 17.6/30 Teaching Units = 0.587 Service Credit.