CalSTRS Members can Retire Online Using New Internet Tools
Educators can fill out and submit retirement applications in a secure online environment.
WEST SACRAMENTO, CA – California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS) members can now fill out and submit service retirement forms in a secure online environment.
The new online capabilities, launched over the weekend, are expected to simplify applying for service retirement with step-by-step instructions coupled with old-fashioned help from benefits counselors, if needed. The new features also offer secure, on-demand access to member account information.
“We see the new secure online service retirement and submittal feature as just one more step toward expanding the online capabilities of our members and improving the level of satisfaction and accuracy that CalSTRS can offer them,” said CalSTRS Chief Executive Officer Jack Ehnes. “We have experienced, over the past few years, increasing demand from members to access retirement data online and we think this will help us provide better, more targeted, services as members advance through their careers toward retirement.”
Using an online portal at https://my.CalSTRS.com with a secure login feature, members will be able to complete a multitude of tasks including submitting their service retirement forms. CalSTRS has been building its online capabilities for a year leading up to today’s development. Among the milestones are:
- An improved secure registration and authentication process for members at my.CalSTRS.com.
- Ability to verify benefit eligibility and to purchase service credit online.
- Ability to designate a beneficiary for spousal and other benefits, including the one-time lump-sum death benefit, and to submit the forms online.
- Development of online verification of benefits forms.
- Ability to check account balance, change addresses and establish or modify direct deposits online.
These online tools improve the speed and accuracy of filling out forms for CalSTRS members. CalSTRS staff currently process about 13,000 paper service retirement applications annually. Now members can not only submit service retirement applications online, but do the following as well:
- Determine retirement eligibility.
- Access CalSTRS and account information 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Improve the accuracy of their forms and applications with step-by-step online guides.
- Increase the speed of filling out forms, which are auto-filled with member-specific information.
- Reduce rejection rates.
Members who prefer working with paper can still fill out, print and sign forms for mailing to CalSTRS or submitting to a counseling office, if they choose.
The California State Teachers’ Retirement System, with a portfolio valued at $154.6 billion, is the largest teacher pension fund in the United States. It administers retirement, disability and survivor benefits for California’s 852,000 public school educators and their families from the state’s 1,600 school districts, county offices of education and community college districts.