Joint statement on the importance of long-term, sustainable growth
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. (March 2, 2020) — CalSTRS, alongside Japan’s Government Pension Investment Fund and the UK’s Universities Superannuation Scheme, released a statement emphasizing the importance of long-term, sustainable growth.
“Our commitments to our members span decades, and we must prioritize long-term value creation over short-term gain,” said Chief Investment Officer Christopher J. Ailman. “We urge our partners and the companies in which we invest to improve their disclosures and enhance their integration of environmental, social and governance factors into their decision-making processes.”
The joint statement has 15 signatories as of July 6, 2020:
- California State Teachers’ Retirement System
- Government Pension Investment Fund
- USS Investment Management Ltd.
- RPMI Railpen
- BC Investment Management Corporation
- Fonds de Réserve pour les Retraites
- H.E.S.T Australia, Ltd.
- Nest Corporation
- Environment Agency Pension Fund
- Brunel Pension Partnership, Ltd.
- LGPS Central Ltd.
- Local Pensions Partnership Investment, Ltd.
- Victorian Funds Management Corporation
- Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation
Read the statement:
CalSTRS provides a secure retirement to more than 964,000 members whose CalSTRS-covered service is not eligible for Social Security participation. Members retire on average after more than 24 years in the classroom with a monthly benefit of approximately $4,547. Established in 1913, CalSTRS is the largest educator-only pension fund in the world with approximately $252 billion in assets under management. CalSTRS demonstrates its strong commitment to long-term corporate sustainability principles in its annual Global Reporting Initiative Sustainability Report. For more information, visit CalSTRS.com.