Public Plan Investors Announce Market Regulation Reform Principles
The leading public pension funds of the United States, including the California State Teachers’ Retirement System and the California Public Employees’ Retirement System, have announced a set of market regulation reform principles aimed at restoring trust and confidence in the global capital markets.
The “Principles of Financial Regulation Reform: A Model for Change” is a set a five financial regulation principles developed in response to the unprecedented instability of worldwide markets.
The key elements of the principles are:
- Greater disclosure and transparency
- True regulatory independence
- An increased and effective shareowner voice in the capital markets
- Earlier identification by regulators of issues that give rise to overall market risk that threaten global markets
- The preservation of institutional investors’ freedom to invest in the full range of investment opportunities