The CalSTRS Office of the Ombuds provides assistance in resolving problems and conflicts that are not solved through the usual CalSTRS communication channels. We are a resource for members with CalSTRS-related concerns seeking assistance with resolving problems, disputes, or complaints.
Send a secure message directly to the Office of the Ombuds
As an advocate for CalSTRS members, the ombuds provides independent, impartial, confidential, and informal assistance to those that contact the office. Our mission is to be truthful, act with integrity, foster respect for all CalSTRS members and advocate for procedural fairness in the content and administration of CalSTRS’ practices, processes and policies.
CalSTRS ombuds guiding principles of practice
- Independence: The ombuds is independent in structure and function to the highest degree possible within CalSTRS.
- Impartiality: The ombuds is designated as neutral and impartial and will not engage in any situation which could create a conflict of interest.
- Confidentiality: The ombuds holds all communications with those seeking assistance in strict confidence as required by law and policy.
- Informality: The ombuds supplements but does not replace any formal complaint or grievance channels at CalSTRS.
The Office of the Ombuds adheres to the standards of practice set forth by the International Ombuds Association.
What we do
- Provide a respectful, safe and confidential environment for individuals to discuss their problems and issues—helping clarify issues, identify goals, and develop and consider a range of options for resolution.
- Advocate on your behalf in reaching a resolution.
- Explain relevant CalSTRS laws, regulations and policies.
- Provide referrals to other services within CalSTRS.
- Provide information to the CalSTRS CEO on general trends and patterns of complaints so that problems may be prevented from escalating or recurring.
What we don’t do
- Make binding decisions.
- Mandate policies.
- Formally adjudicate issues for CalSTRS.
- Provide legal advice.
- Represent CalSTRS members/participants in any formal administrative or legal hearings.
Meet the team