The CalSTRS Teachers’ Retirement Board includes:
- Three member-elected positions representing current educators.
- A retired CalSTRS member appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate.
- Three public representatives appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate.
- A school board representative appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate.
- Four board members who serve in an ex-officio capacity by virtue of their office: Director of Finance, State Controller, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, and State Treasurer.
Board members, excluding the ex-officio members, serve four-year terms.
The board has six standing committees: Appeals, Audits and Risk Management, Benefits and Services, Board Governance, Compensation and Investments.
The board appoints a Chief Executive Officer to administer the system consistent with the board’s policies and rules. The board also selects a Chief Investment Officer to direct the investment of the Teachers’ Retirement Fund in accordance with board policy.
Communication With the Board
The board welcomes your comments. If you would like to contact a member of the board, please use the following:
- Email: Board@CalSTRS.com
- Phone: 916-414-2201