To protect our members in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have formatted our in-person workshops to online webinars. We are committed to providing the same educational workshops in webinar format so you can continue to take an active role in your retirement from the safety of your home.
You can register for webinars by clicking on the links below.
We have updated our website security features. You must use a current browser to register for a webinar.
Paper Service Retirement Application Demonstration
Are you ready to retire? In this webinar, a CalSTRS benefits specialist will walk you through how to complete and submit your Service Retirement Application, as well as, show you how to update your one-time death benefit recipient.
Online Service Retirement Application Demonstration
Are you ready to retire? In this webinar, a CalSTRS benefits specialist will walk you through how to use your myCalSTRS account to complete and submit your Service Retirement Application online, as well as, show you how to update your one-time death benefit recipient.
- Monday, November 1, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 9, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Monday, November 15, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Retire Now or Later
Are you trying to decide when to retire? Have you been offered a retirement incentive? If you’re comfortable with technology and want to better understand your retirement options and calculate your own retirement estimates, this webinar is for you. With the guidance of a CalSTRS benefit specialist, you’ll learn how to:
- Access CalSTRS’ online resources.
- Log in to your myCalSTRS account and access your Retirement Progress Report.
- Use the CalSTRS Retirement Benefits Calculator to generate retirement estimates.
- Determine if you can retire now or later.
You’ll be using myCalSTRS during this webinar, so be sure you’re registered and that your account information is up to date.
- Monday, November 1, 2021, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday, November 19, 2021, 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Monday, November 29, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
My Retirement System
This online workshop provides an overview of the CalSTRS hybrid retirement system, your survivor and disability benefits, how your benefit will be calculated, ways you can increase your benefit and other CalSTRS resources available to you. Learn more about this first step in your life journey with CalSTRS.
My Retirement Benefits
This interactive online workshop provides more in-depth information about your benefits, earned and purchased service credit, and the gap between your CalSTRS benefit and your retirement income goal, plus ways to bridge it.
My Retirement Decisions
This hands-on online workshop is designed for CalSTRS members who are close to retirement and looking for information to make informed decisions. You’ll learn how to calculate your retirement benefit and how to choose your retirement date. You’ll also find out about beneficiary options, service retirement forms, your Defined Benefit Supplement account and working after retirement parameters. Prepare for the retirement you want by getting the information you need.
My Retirement Decisions
- Thursday, October 28, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, October 29, 2021, 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 2, 2021, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Friday, November 5, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 17, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Save for Your Future
A spending plan gives you control of your money, keeps you focused on your financial goals, and helps you organize your expenses, debt and savings. Spend an hour and a half learning the strategies financial planners use to get their clients on the right financial path.
In this webinar, you’ll learn how to create a spending plan, understand your credit report, build and keep good credit, and manage your debt. You’ll also get worksheets, strategies for creating a spending plan, and more.
Save For Your Future workbook
Plan for Your Future
It’s not too early to start planning for your future. Have you thought about how you’ll be spending your days in retirement? Picturing specifics will help you prepare the best plan to accomplish your goals.
In this webinar, you’ll learn how to create an action plan for your retirement picture; how to identify your expenses in retirement and how they’ll likely change over time; about Medicare basics and Social Security offsets; and strategies for managing your current and future expenses.
Plan for Your Future workbook
Protect Your Future
Many retirees underestimate their retirement income and expenses. Being realistic, planning ahead and learning ways to mitigate common obstacles, including inflation, scams and rising health care costs, can help you make sure your money lasts throughout your retirement.
In this webinar, you’ll learn how to identify your income sources, ways to reduce the risks of underestimating your expenses and strategies for withdrawing your invested dollars. You’ll also get a step-by-step guide to choosing a financial professional.
Protect Your Future workbook
- Monday, November 8, 2021, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursday, November 18, 2021, 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Start Saving Now With Pension2
Saving for retirement may seem far from your mind right now, but supplemental savings are essential to ensuring you have enough money to retire comfortably. Due to compound interest, saving earlier in your career is far more valuable than saving later. The CalSTRS Pension2® program works in tandem with your Defined Benefit Program and Defined Benefit Supplement accounts. Join this online workshop to see why saving now with Pension2 is important.
- Tuesday, November 2, 2021, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, November 4, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 8, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 15, 2021, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 22, 2021, 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
myCalSTRS: Discover What You Can Do
With your myCalSTRS online account, you can change your address and income tax withholdings; view and print your benefit statements and 1099-R forms; manage your direct deposit account; and update your one-time death benefit recipient. Be sure to register for a myCalSTRS account before the webinar. If you need help registering your account, watch the myCalSTRS registration video.
NOTE: You’ll need an updated internet browser to view the video.
- Monday, November 8, 2021, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Thursday, November 18, 2021, 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Am I Saving Enough?
Once you retire from CalSTRS, you’ll receive a monthly pension. Yet saving additional money for retirement is an essential part of reaching your retirement savings goal. Learn how to find a balance between your guaranteed income from CalSTRS and saving enough on your own to retire comfortably.
Designed for midcareer educators, this webinar will provide you with a few scenarios to help you understand how long you may need to work and how much money you may need to save to achieve the retirement you desire.
If you want to find out more about the CalSTRS benefits and services you have access to as a part-time educator, this webinar is for you. You’ll compare the two benefit programs that may be available to you and determine which program you’re currently paying into. You’ll learn about ways to increase your retirement income, the importance of supplemental savings and considerations to keep in mind throughout your career. You’re helping students build their future, don’t forget about yours.
Considerations for Part-time Educators
Retired Educator: Learn and Discover
As a retired educator, you have access to valuable CalSTRS tools and resources, including Your Newly Retired Member Kit, our Retired Educator newsletter, our Retired Educator webpage and this webinar. Register and attend to learn:
- Where and when you can work without affecting your CalSTRS retirement benefit.
- How the federal required minimum distribution may affect you.
- Ways myCalSTRS can help you now that you’re retired.
- Monday, November 8, 2021, 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Thursday, November 18, 2021, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Navigating Market Volatility With Pension2
In this webinar, you’ll learn why the stock market fluctuates and about the emotions you may experience as an investor. You’ll receive risk-mitigation strategies to ensure you remain composed even during times of stress. In addition, you’ll find out how to take control of your retirement future with CalSTRS Pension2®.
Consolidation of Benefits
If you plan to retire under the Defined Benefit Program, the amount of service credit you have at retirement is important for calculating your CalSTRS retirement benefit. Consolidating your Cash Balance Benefit and your Defined Benefit service credit may help increase the monthly benefit you’ll receive when you retire. Find out if consolidating your benefits is right for you, and the process to do so, by attending this webinar.
My Retirement System + Start Saving Now With Pension2
Looking for a quick and easy way to learn about CalSTRS and how we play a large part in your retirement? This webinar is designed to help you learn more about your benefits and how you can save more for retirement with Pension2 403(b) and 457(b) plans.
New Educator: Learn and Discover
Now that you’ve begun your career as a California educator, it’s a good time to start learning about, and saving for, retirement. As a CalSTRS member, you have access to valuable tools and resources, including this webinar, designed specifically for early career educators.
Join us to learn about:
- Your retirement benefits, including survivor and disability benefits.
- Why it’s important to check your Retirement Progress Report each year.
- Eligible service and how to purchase service credit.