ED2020-02 Postretirement earnings limit and disability allowance earnings limit for the 2019–20 and 2020–21 fiscal years, and disability retirement earnings limit for the 2020 calendar year
Supersedes employer directive 2019-01
March 3, 2020
This employer directive is intended to inform and remind employers of:
- The application of the earnings limit for retired CalSTRS members.
- The annual postretirement earnings limit for the 2019–20 fiscal year.
- The annual postretirement earnings limit for the 2020–21 fiscal year.
- The postretirement separation-from-service requirement for retired CalSTRS members and retired CalSTRS participants during the first 180 calendar days from their retirement date with CalSTRS.
- Requirements for requesting an exemption from the separation-from-service requirement.
- Restriction on hiring retired CalSTRS members and retired CalSTRS participants in classified positions.
- Retirement incentive restrictions.
- Requirements for employer communication regarding the earnings limits and, if applicable, the retirement incentive restrictions when hiring retired CalSTRS members. Also, the employer requirements regarding maintaining accurate records and reporting postretirement earnings to CalSTRS.
- The CalSTRS postretirement excess earnings notification process.
- The disability retirement earnings limit for the 2020 calendar year.
- The disability allowance earnings limit for the 2019–20 and 2020–21 fiscal years.
Employer Directives [ED] convey legal requirements and prohibitions and document CalSTRS policy for school district and community college employers.Download directive