The California Education Code authorizes CalSTRS to hold a hearing for the purpose of determining any question presented to it involving any right, benefit, or obligation.
The regulations govern the process that occurs before a hearing is held by CalSTRS. The regulations reflect a structure that guides the member through an administrative remedy process and are designed to assist the member in moving their request or contention forward within CalSTRS. CalSTRS reached out to employers and other advocacy groups to provide information and request feedback on the draft internal appeal regulations.
On Friday, July 15, 2011, the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for the Internal Appeal regulations was published in the California Regulatory Notice Register.
On January 3, 2012, CalSTRS initially submitted the Internal Informal Appeal Regulation File to the Office of Administrative Law. On February 7, CalSTRS submitted additional documents and a correction to the final approved regulations text, adding them to the rulemaking record. Below are links to the documents that make up the rulemaking file for the Internal Appeal regulations:
- Table of Contents
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
- Text of Regulations Originally Noticed to Public
- Final Regulation Text (subsequently supplanted by updated text described under Instruction Memo)
- Initial Statement of Reasons
- Statement that No Written Comments Were Submitted During 45-day Comment Period or Made at Public Hearing
- Public Hearing Transcript
- Updated Informative Digest
- Final Statement of Reasons
- Statement of Mailing Notice
- Fiscal Impact Statement
- Instruction Memo to OAL with Attachments:
- Final Text of the Proposed Regulations
- November 4, 2011, Board Meeting Minutes
- November 4, 2011, Board Item re: Internal Appeal Regulations
- Amended Table of Contents
- New Certification
For accessible versions of files on this page, contact ADACoordinator@CalSTRS.com.