Transition to a low-carbon economy
CalSTRS recognizes that climate change presents a material and existential risk to society and the economy. We are committed to influencing public policies, engaging with companies and investing to promote an orderly transition to a low-carbon economy that benefits all.
CalSTRS’ Low-Carbon Transition Work Plan seeks to reduce climate-related risk and identify opportunities to invest in climate-related solutions that will maximize benefit to members. The board established three work plan priorities and five distinct work streams in October 2019.
- Establish a low-carbon investment belief (January 2020)
- Assess “Transition Readiness” across asset class (Ongoing)
- Expand investments in low carbon solutions (Ongoing)
- Build board and staff consensus on portfolio impacts
- Evaluate the transition-readiness of portfolios by asset class
- Identify investments in new climate-related solutions
- Expand stewardship activities
- Enhance communications and reporting strategies
Detailed information on the work plan is available on the board update.