Transition to a low-carbon economy
CalSTRS recognizes that climate change presents a material and existential risk to society and the economy. We are committed to influencing public policies, engaging with companies and investing to promote an orderly transition to a low-carbon economy that benefits all.
Divesting from fossil fuel doesn’t reduce greenhouse gas emissions and doesn’t address all the different factors that contribute to climate change. CalSTRS is focused on actions that reduce emissions and support an orderly low-carbon transition.
CalSTRS has established practices to manage climate risk within our investment portfolio:
- Read how on a global scale.
- Understand how CalSTRS is investing for the future in our annual .
- Familiarize yourself with CalSTRS’ engagement activities over the last quarter.
- See in our investments.
- View CalSTRS’ investment beliefs that provide a foundational framework for investment decisions.
- Read CalSTRS’ on the importance of long-term, sustainable growth.
CalSTRS is also part of global coalitions seeking improved disclosure and action to address climate risk. CalSTRS is actively involved with:
- Climate Action 100+, a global investor initiative to ensure the world’s largest corporate gas emitters take necessary action on climate change.
- The Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures, a framework that enables consistent climate-related risk disclosures by companies.
- The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board, that is establishing disclosure standards across material environmental, social and governance topics.